Jupiter Plavius Dumps 7 Inches of Snow on Harvard Square and Then Throws in 2 Inches of Rain, but Galoshes Market Is Firm

Yesterday's storm which in the morning poured tons of snow on the University and in the late afternoon attempted to undo its earlier work by pouring on tons more of rain, produced a number of new records on the books of the statisticians.

The Blue Hill Observatory announced a snowfall of seven inches, which breaks the previous record of the winter by two inches. As the CRIMSON goes to press, the precipitation of rain approaches two inches.

Division No. 3 of the Boston Elevated Company, whose headquarters are located near the Square, reported that 25 of its plows were kept busy clearing the tracks of the district, a figure unprecedented for the winter. It was stated that car movement proceeded about as usual, interruptions being largely due to the automobile traffic. Students with 9 o'clocks, however, had to thread their way through a line of cars extending from the Square as far as Quincy street.

Although no statistics were available on the number of snowballs thrown by urchins about the University, indications were that if this figure could be obtained, another record would be added to the list.

The storm, however failed to produce a run on the Cooperative Society for overshoes. This was in marked contrast to the records established in the other great storms of the year, that on the day of the Yale game, and that on January 3. "Business as usual," was the report of the salesforce there.