THE DOWNFALL OF THE MARK

The results of Professor Lowos' English 72 examination raise inevitable, and pertinent questions. Since there were no A's and only 3 E's, it must be concluded that the system of relative grading was abandoned, and some absolute standard of performance set. Otherwise, since some examinations must have been better than any of the rest, there would have been at least a few A's. Professor Lowes' experiment consisted of the most enlightened sort of examination possible; the fact that its result was absolutely out of harmony with the results of other courses simply indicates that something is fundamentally wrong.

Now an absolute standard is ideal theoretically; practically, it has been found that in most subjects, except the exact sciences, a relative standard is the only useful one--that is, the best men are given A's, the worst E's, and B's. C's and D's are dealt out following roughly a standardized grade-curve. With an absolute standard, it is conceivable that no one should attain an A or an E; with the relative standard, it is inconceivable.

Nevertheless, the grades determined by these two very different methods are used as bases of comparison, as indices of efficiency. Honors are awarded for specified numbers of high marks; probation befalls if certain average grades are not maintained. An A is fallaciously assumed to represent a definite standard of attainment, in any or every course and scholarships, privileges and what not are decided by the margin of a B based on one system over a C based on another. Under these circumstances, it is impossible to over-emphasize the necessity for some uniform basis of comparison, in all fairness to the student who is penalized or honored according to his grades.

Thus far, the path of the critic has been smooth. But the question, what uniform basis can be employed, is not easy to answer. For most subjects, however, the absolute, standard can be eliminated at once--it is utterly inapplicable. This leaves only the relative grading--which is equally inapplicable to such courses as mathematics, where an absolute rating is not only possible but imperative. And even in the other courses, a relative grade-curve has ineradicable defects. The Freshmen, for example are required to have three C's and one D to avoid probation; if they chance to go on probation, they must have four C's to get off. Suppose that a Freshman, already on probation takes a course in which 35 per cent--to choose a conservative figure are predestined, foreordained to receive an E or a D. His chance of being restored to good standing is exceedingly slight.

This merely illustrates one of the cases in which a standard grade-curve must inevitably work hardship to those who are near the danger line. But the conclusion ought to be obvious. If no system can be devised for distributing grades justly and on exactly the same basis - grades cannot be fairly used to decide either discipline or distinction.