STICKMEN BREAK STRING OF FRESHMAN SET-BACKS

ZARAKOV, SCOTT, AND HAMLEN SCORE FOR HARVARD

The first Freshman major sport victory over Yale since the Blue 1925 crew sank at New London in the spring of 1922 was gained Saturday when the Crimson sextet continually outplayed the Eli first-year men until the final figures on the Arena scoreboard read 4-0 for Harvard. This victory closed Harvard's first undefeated hockey season since 1914 and the only game on the ice that Freshmen stickmen have won from the Bulldog first-year men since 1920.

From the beginning of the opening period the Crimson team had the edge. For half the period the puck raced back and forth, usually near the Yale net. Zarakov's chance came when he zigzagged through three Blue defence men and shot the goal. Similar tactics brought about the second score. Kaufman left the net to break up the shot, but Zarakov put the rubber past him. In the second period the Crimson showed an alarming facility in losing the puck. Captain Coady played valliantly, and in spite of a severe cold that sapped his energy, he brought about the third goal by a clever pass to Scott. Only Flood's remarkable stops prevented Eli scores in this period and the last, in which Hamlen scored the final goal on a pass from Zarakov.

The summary:

Score, Harvard Freshmen 4, Yale Freshmen 0. Goals, Zarakov 2, Scott, Hamlen. Referee, Sands. Time, three 15-minute periods. Harvard 1927  Yale 1927 Scott, Gross, Cabot, l.w.  r.w., Norris, Griggs, Andrews, Henrotin Zarakov, Vander Horst, c.  c., Frey, Griggs Hamlen, Burnett, r. w.  l.w., Armstrong, Herrman Bohlen, Wylde, l.d.  r.d., Cushing, Herrman Coady, Ellison, Wyide, r.d.  l.d., Noble Flood, Daley, g.  g., Kaufman