"A SONG BY THE FIRE"

"The aim of the Freshman Hall Choruses is to stimulate interest n singing among all men in the Freshman Class, and songs for the Jubilee will be selected with an aim to interest men and not merely to produce a good musical effect."

The Jubilee marks an ending, unofficial as it may be, of the first year of college, and like most Freshman Institutions and customs, it is an effort to amalgamate the different units of the class. It is the last function of a year in which every effort has been made to break down class and school barriers. With the other features of the Jubilee, the competition between hall choruses assumes an important place; it is the swan song of the year.

To many men the competition for places in the Freshman Glee Club seems unusually severe and discouraging--and here the Hall Choruses play a useful part. Not only are they the proving ground for future choristers, but they serve to develop the latent talent in many Freshmen not quite good enough for the Glee Club. After all it is not important as to which of the halls renders "Upidee" or "The Tavern in the Town" most tunefully; the all-important purpose is to get the Freshmen together, and incidentally to interest a large number in singing and music--men who otherwise would probably scorn the mere idea.