CUI BONOT

It has been previously pointed out in this column that with the present varying systems of grading an A means one thing in one course, and something else in another. By taking certain courses, probation can be easily avoided, whereas in others, a large proportion of each class is necessarily doomed. The conclusion drawn from all this is that grades cannot possibly be fairly used for determining anything of consequence, such as scholarships or probation-since there is no system of grading which can possibly he applied with justice to every course.

It follows that if grades are not to be used for these purposes-that is for deciding honors or discipline-they have little use at all,-except for the harmless and desirable service of indicating to the student his approximate standing. And if its is true that scholarships are awarded for marked excellence and rarely depend on the mere difference of a grade-which ought to be true if it is not-the only practical purpose for which grades are necessary is determining probation-the one ting which absolutely should not depend on unreliable, unstandardized marks.

As for probation itself-even from a paternalistic point of view it defeats its own ends. It is not uncommon for seniors, for example, to find that only by cutting most of their classes can they complete their required work, and this may well apply to others. The man on probation is compelled to attend every class,-a doubtful help i raising his grades,-which after all is the requisite thing. he is forced to concentrated on better grades-not better understanding. A fatal emphasis is placed on the additional C which merely exacerbates the already unhealthy system of meaningless marks.

The result is the present situation, in which the cat chases his own tail. Failing to get the requisite marks in the first place, the student is given an extra handicap in the shape of probation and told to produce even higher grades than before. While the paternal system exists, probation, as a punishment for disciplinary offenses, may be justified, but a s a remedy for low marks and based on inconclusive marks, probation can hardly be other than short-sighted and utterly unjust.