ANOTHER TRIBUTE

Coincident with the announcement of the Alumni Association's tribute to President Eliot on his ninetieth birthday comes another tribute, less pretentious perhaps than the gathering of thousands of Harvard graduates and prominent citizens, but more valued in the practicality and frankness of a compliment made unwittingly. One of President Eliot's last accomplishments was the foundation of the Harvard Business School in 1908. At the time it was an experiment, an experiment tempered, however, by the judgement of a man who could see ahead.

Today nine representatives of the War Department start upon a two years' course at the Business School to form the nucleus for an army business school which the Government is to model on the principles of the Harvard organization. After investigation of all the business training systems at other universities, professional business schools, and business forecasting institutions, Secretary of War Weeks has decided upon Harvard as the model for the Government school, which will introduce modern scientific business methods into all branches of the service.

The Government's recognition of President Eliot's creation is not the only tangible proof of its success. The Harvard Business School has been growing in influence and subsequently in numbers until the applications have far exceeded the facilities. It would seem a pity if an organization which has proved its worth should be limited in influence through lack of facilities. President Eliot's dream has been fulfilled; it is for his successors to carry on the work.