TRACK SQUAD FINDS ITSELF AT B. A. A.'S

Performances at Arena on Saturday Night Argue Well for Contests With Cornell and Dartmouth

Victory against Yale and M. I. T. relay teams, and places in two out of the five events in which University representatives were entered was the University's portion in the B. A. A. games at the Boston Arena Saturday night. In the Yale Freshman relay race came the only important reverse, when the Blue slashed from behind to a brilliant finish.

The evening disclosed a Crimson squad perfectly conditioned and near the top of its potential form. It offered a sharp contrast to the whitewash which the University received last year and to successive relay defeats in every year since the war. Especially does the University showing augur well for for its success against Cornell and Dartmouth on February 16 and in the intercollegiates two weeks later.

The long relay with Yale was the University's almost from the start. Geilfuss of Yale and Allen exchanged the pole twice in the early laps of the opening leg, but the latter finally asserted his mastery. Chapin, following him, received a ten-yard lead, and passed it on to his successor, Cutcheon with 15 yards more, while Watters, at anchor, started 40 yards ahead of Chapman, and finished with a half-lap advantage in the fast time of 8 minutes, 11 and 2-5 seconds.

M. I. T. Yields in Close Race

The M. I. T. one-mile relay was a closer race. Although the Crimson took the pole at the sound of the gun and never once lost it, Brooks, Rogers, Robb, and Captain Merrill successively could boost the lead to no more than 12 yards.

Yale's triumph in the 1927 relay was the result of a gallant sprint by her anchor man, Hutchinson, which changed a five-yard Crimson lead 75 yards from the tape into Blue victory which was only a shade from a dead heat. But despite this defeat, as near to victory as defeat can be, the 1927 team gave a remarkable performance.

C. I. Paulsen '27, Karl Anderson of the Illinois A. C., and Carl Christiansson of the Newark A. C. went down the track abreast in the 45 yard hurdles. A lunge at the finish gave Anderson the first medal in world-record time, but the Crimson hurdler was second. Jefferson Fletcher '25, another University entrant, was not eliminated until the semi-finals.

A. H. Miller '27 ran in the finals of the 40 yard dash, and yielded only to Loren Murchison, Chester Bowman, and Harrington Moore, a trio of nationally famous stars, while his team-mate, R. D. Howard '24, placed in a trial heat.

The ten first runners in the 1000 yard run out of a field of 43, showed a decided Crimson tinge, with F. P. Kane '26 in second place, LeB. R. Barker '26 fourth, and A. L. Coburn '25 and Leo Ryan '26 close behind.