PEGASUS PERIPATETIC

Printed as one of the planks on a CRIMSON "platform" poster set high on the walls of the office so that all who run may read are the words "Conspuez the Advocate". Truely, a barbarous suggestion clothed in barbarous language, indicative of an era of less kindly feeling! That the Advocate has never taken offense thereat must be due to the fact that it has never read, and this, perhaps, because it has never run.

Clothed in the cast-off garments of Apollo, with a crown of bay generally askew, strumming at intervals a tuneless lyre, the genius of the paper has lived on unchallenged and unchallenging while its mascot Pegasus has remained fast tethered in his stall.

But apparently like "the wondrous horse of brass" it needed but the turning of some hidden key to release his congealed wings and send him ramping "into the uttermost parts of the earth." And now, like Oden's ravens he brings back tidings, not from all corners of the globe perhaps, but far more remarkable for a Cambridge foaled beast, from twelve states outside of New England! And the genius, his flowing robes girl up about his loins, his wreath becomingly arranged, his lyre attuned to the typewriter--raises the ante. The prize for the best word to describe a "dry" leaps from ten to twenty-five dollars.

That most of the answers come from married women assures the fearful of the sobriety of the uxorious and the continued conservatism of Pegasus, who apparently is no more philanderer. That only ten answers have come from the University only proves that there are no more married women in the College than there should be, and that "a prophet is not without honor" etc.

Whether the Advocate's contest is really very funny or not is beyond the point. Much more interesting is it that it actually seems to have some money to spare, some initiative, some color. Perhaps first of all college literary magazines it has entered the field of journalism, and with no slight initial success.

It has long known how to read, but only at its case and so has seldom been read. It has now learned to run. If the genius can sing to a typewriter on horseback it should attain the triumph to which such talents surely entitle it.