PROSPECTS BRIGHT IN I.C.A.A.A. MEET TODAY

But Watters' Defection Dampens Hopes in Running Events-Yale and Georgetown Most Dangerous Rivals

When Evans and Berglund of the University track team make their preliminary tosses with the 35-pound weight in the Squardon A armory at New York this afternoon, the Crimson track forces will have begun their third fight for the indoor track title of the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of America. During the evening the struggle will continue in the 22nd Regiment armory, where the remaining 11 events of the program will be contested by University athletes.

Two years ago, the annual indoor intercollegiate meet was won by Cornell, with the University team trailing behind in seventh place. Last year the team barely succeeded in tieing for sixth place. It is difficult to predict the outcome of today's meet, and yet it is safe to say that the University will emerge far nearer the top in the scoring list than in the previous two years.

In the course of the recent winter season, Coach Farrell has developed an extraordinarily well balanced team, and in today's meet he will be able to enter men in early every event who will prove serious contenders for places.

In the two-mile run, it is expected that Cutcheon, who has been doing outstanding work for the University during the winter season, will be able to distance the field which will oppose him. Eastman, the New England shot put champion in 1923, will have Hills of Princeton as his strongest competitor for first place with the 16-pound shot. Berglund, the 200-pound Sophomore weight thrower, has a good chance to score with the 35-pound weight, if he can equal his longest throws in the Winter Carnival at Soldiers

Field on Wednesday. In both the University one-mile relay and the Freshman medley relay race, the Crimson runners are sufficiently strong to overcomes the stiff opposition which will be offered them in those events, and add several additional points to the University total.

Other scoring prospects for the University may be found in Chase in the dash, Fletcher in the hurdles, Hyatt in either the broad or the high jump, and Chapin in the mile. The Crimson chances, however, are decidedly weakened by the fact that Watters will be unable to compete in the mile run, and that there will be no Crimson two-mile relay team, leaving in both events a distinct advantage with Yale and Georgetown, the two strongest contenders for the championship