FORMAL RECOGNITION MAY FOLLOW DORMITORY BOUTS

INTERCOLLEGIATE BOXING WORKS WELL AT YALE

It is hoped that the Freshman Interdormitory Boxing tournament will arouse sufficient interest in boxing so that next year University and Freshman teams may be formed. Preliminaries to the tournament will be held in Hemenway Gymnasium, March 19.

Before the teams could represent the University, however, boxing would have to be sanctioned as an intercollegiate sport. The recognition of boxing is very improbable in the opinion of Major F. W. Moore, Graduate Treasurer, who said. "It is unlikely that the Athletic Committee would reconsider the case because there has been no change in conditions since the committee refused to recognize the sport about a year and a half ago; and also because of the faculty's attitude against increasing the number of Intercollegiate contests."

It has been reported that intercollegiate boxing has been a success at Yale, but that is no reason that it would succeed here.

From the preliminaries the personnel of the dormitory teams will be selected. Each team will have five members, one from each class. The classes are: 125 lbs., 135 lbs., 147 lbs., 160 lbs., and unlimited. These divisions are the same as used in the University tournament. Coach Shevlin also hopes this tournament may lay a foundation for future matches.