FINDS MINISTRY MOST ABSORBING CAREER

More Important Than Ability, He Says--Healing Men's Souls More Vital Than Mending Their Legs

"The chief interest and glory of the ministry lies in its broad human interest, and the insight it gives into the hearts of men" was the message left by Bishop William Lawrence '71, in the fourth vocational talk, on "The Ministry of the Clergyman and of the Layman" at the Union last night.

"The minister's interests" he continued are as broad as humanity; every day he meets new problems; every day he deals with men and women, who are in difficulty or in sorrow, or who need a helping hand to lift them out of life's temptations. And each time he gets a new slant on life and on his fellowmen; each time his sympathy and interest in mankind is rekindled and revivified.

Differs From Other Professions

"But it is not the same way with a lawyer or a business man. He can go all through life, without coming in contact with the pathetic side of humanity, and without ever seeing the deep emotions of which man is capable.

"The stock in trade in a minister's career is his own character, and not the mere material ability of his hands or of his head. What his heart really is that is his capacity as a minister. Everything that he does to improve his character, be it learning to curb his emotions, or to give to the poor, makes him a better and a more successful minister. To be a worthy minister, a man must be fine all the way through, whether at home or in the church or in travel. A lawyer can be deeply immoral, and yet be an eminent jurist; a surgeon can be a scoundrel, and yet be very successful with the lancet. But a minister is in everybody's eyes, and must therefore be pure in every respect. If he falls once, his career is gone. And this realization that success lies in your char- acter is one of the greatest joys of a minister's life.

"In addition, the consciousness that he is exerting a great moral influence is a source of constant satisfaction in a minister's career", Bishop Lawrence went on. "If he is successful, he knows that hundreds of people are leaning on him for support, that he is their leader and adviser, and that he is looked up to and consulted in every crisis of life. A man seems to grow bigger as he progresses into the ministry; the spirit of sacrifice and of service, the constant use of tact and sympathy, give him a new spiritual feeling which makes him rise to his responsibilities.

Cites Drunkard's Case

"But above all, the minister puts in the leverage at the most effective point. It is his business to mend men's souls and not their mere material bodies. He strikes at the root of a man's character; he gets not only under his skin but into his heart, and provides the force to make him a man. For example, take the case of a drunkard, who breaks a leg in one of his orgies. The doctor can set the leg; thus physically the man may be mended. But is his soul any better than it was before? No; and that is where the minister steps in to do his part in mending the drunkard's soul.

"Of course there are many drawbacks in a minister's profession," he admitted, "but do not be frightened by the sacrifices or by the smallness of the salary. As President Eliot said in Sanders Theatre, 'have your eye on the main thing in life.' Disregard the incidentals--sacrifice is a little thing when compared to the great purpose behind life. Also, do not let your theological beliefs hold you back from entering the ministry. It is my firm conviction that most ministers get into trouble, not so much on account of their views but because of the way they express them."

Need No Special Qualities

When asked as to the qualifications needed for the ministry, Bishop Lawrence replied "you do not need any specific qualifications; by dint of hard work and firmly believing in 'God my father, Christ the Saviour, man my brother' you can make a successful minister."

When asked to define religion, Bishop Lawrence said "Religion is a conscious binding together of the human soul and God with spiritual symbols."

Supplementing Bishop Lawrence's lecture, Dean W. L. Sperry, of the Theological School, and Rev. Palfrey Perkins '05, of the Weston Unitarian Church, will give conferences between 2 and 4 o'clock this afternoon in the Faculty Room of the Union. Blue books are posted in 3 University Hall for this purpose