"INVITATION" FOOTBALL CONTEST MOORE'S IDEAL

Free Admission Would Stop Commercialization but Would Need $10,000,000 So Plan Is Impracticable

"The ideal way to distribute seats for a college football game would be by invitation." Major F. W. Moore '93, graduate treasurer of the Athletic Association told a CRIMSON reporter. "In this way any trace of commercialism that might taint this sport and the disagreeable element of the crowds would be done away with.

"The ideal however, is unattainable for the Athletic Association must have money to carry on its work, and so admission to games must be charged." The reporter suggested making the association independent by an endowment. "Nearly $10,000,000 would be needed for such a fund," said Major Moore. "With the numerous other demands for endowment, especially for college professors, the possibility of ever getting one is out of the question.

"A few years ago we tried the plan of making admission to the baseball games free, but with ill success. Such crowds of undesirable people took advantage of the opportunity, that the games often had to be delayed on account of disorder."