Levermore Admits Plan Is Impracticable

"The value of the Bok Peace contest lies not so much in the practicability of the winning plan as in its stimulating effect on the discussion of peace." Dr. Charles H. Levermore, winner of the contest and secretary of the New York Peace Society, told a CRIMSON reporter when interviewed after the luncheon of the Foreign Policy Association on Saturday. "Throughout the country meetings similar to this luncheon are being held to discuss peace."

"My plan," he continued, "it essentially one of cooperation with the other nations of the world, not a peace plan. It may be a very short step, yet it is a step in the right direction." As Miss Ellen Fitz Pendleton, President of Wellesley College and member of the Jury of Award, said at the luncheon: "The step is an exceedingly short one, but it is the longest the American people are prepared to take."

One of the principal objections to Dr. Levermore's plan as voiced by Arthur D. Call, secretary of the American Pence Society, is the clause calling for cooperation with the League of Nations. "The opponents of the League do not realize," Dr. Levermore said, "that the Council of the League is purely an advisory body." The CRIMSON reporter asked him if a strong executive power would not be the natural outcome of this advisory council. "I see no reason to believe that such would be the case. The Council will merely develop its advisory powers."

"Each of the nations at present in the League is just as jealous of its liberties as we are, yet they do not complain of the league. I cannot see why we would not be satisfied if we joined them. The only hope of peace is through cooperation."