COLDNESS HINDERS BASEBALL PRACTICE

Last Year's Second Baseman Shifted to Corner Sack--Larrabee, Samborski Lead Strong Squad of Catchers

Another intensive fielding drill, in which all the candidates were given a chance to show their wares, marked the second day of outdoor baseball practice yesterday. The cold weather kept the pitchers indoors under the guidance of Coach Mitchell, but it did not deter Coach Slattery from sending the fielders to the Freshman diamond.

A. W. Samborski '25, who has been convalescing from a basketball injury, appeared for the first time. He is the last of the 1923 squad to report, and he showed his intention to make up for lost time by going behind the bat on his first day out.

Rogers, Todd, Burton in Outfield

Trainer Donovan drove long flies to the outfielders while Slattery was hitting to the infield. A. S. Rogers, Todd, and Burton were at left, center, and right field respectively in the initial combination. They were relieved by a group composed of A. F. Rogers, Burgess, and Allen. Later on all the remaining outer gardeners were called into service.

The first-string infield remained intact with Captain Jenkins at short stop, Slayton at third, McGlone at second, and Campbell at first. There was a noticeable improvement over the work of the day before particularly in the smoothness with which Jenkins and McGlone teamed together around second base.

The second infield group found Mann at short stop, Hammond at third, Knowlion at second, and Field at first. The shifting of Hammond to third may mean nothing at all, but it gives the winter-leaguers who had expected to see him at his old position, second base, something about which to speculate. Further speculation is in order as to where F. S. Hill, an absentee yesterday, will be tried. He is considered to have a good chance to break in at either second or third.

Slattery Remains Non-Committal

Coach Slattery continued non-committal except for repeating his warning of two days ago that the present combinations are purely of a tentative, experimental nature. In order to miss no possible bets, he extended the infield work to the entire squad in anticipation of the first cut which, however, will probably not come until next week.

Larrabee and Samborski were the catchers for the first two infields. On the basis of past experience they have the call for the position, and the former has made great strides of improvment over his last year's form. Maher, Cheek, Hurley, Baldwin, and Miyakawa round out a capable backstopping corps, and any one of them may surprise their more experienced rivals.

Battery Coach Mitchell is eager for more temperate weather so that his pitchers can get outdoors. He feels that the cagework is inconclusive and he is anxious to see how the hurlers will show up under actual playing conditions. The moundsmen who make the Southern trip are likely to be chosen from the following: Spalding, K. N. Hill, Puffer, Brown, Norris, Johnson, Casto, Nash, and Cordingley. The last-named has been taking things easily on account of his injured wrist, and the exact date when he will be available for active work is still uncertain.