PLAN EXPERIMENTS IN THOUGHT TRANSMISSION

WILL TRY TO RECEIVE THOUGHTS FROM FRANCE

On Monday and Friday evenings for several weeks to come 25 people in New York will concentrate their attention on certain objects or ideas in the attempt to transmit them to a larger group of persons, many of whom are members of the University.

The experiments will be conducted by Dr. Gardner Murphy '10, Research Fellow in Psychology, and his assistant, Harry Helson 3G, under the auspices of the Harvard Psychological Laboratory. They will take place on Monday evening of each week from 7.30 to 7.36 and on Friday evening of each week from 9.30 to 9.36. Two experiments of three minutes each will be conducted on each of these evenings.

Directions given in a letter sent out by Helson instruct the participants to get apart by themselves for the six minutes of the experiments, and assume a quiet, restful state of mind, as passive as possible, as if they were going to sleep. After the time is up they are directed to record all the thoughts and images received during the six minutes.

At 4.30 on April 12 a special experiment will take place, in which a group of persons in France will endeavor to send to this country an abstract idea by thought transference.