EXPECT TENNIS COURTS TO BE READY THIS WEEK

1927 SEAON TO GET UNDER WAY WEDNESDAY

Work on preparing the University tennis courts for play will begin today, weather permitting, and should be finished to a large degree by the end of the week. Until then Coach Harry Cowles will continue holding indoor practice for the squad at the Freshman gymnasium and the Longwood courts.

Indications point to a good season this year. For the foundation of his team Coach Cowles has four letter men back: Captain K. S. Pfaffmann '24, W. W. Ingraham '25, Alden Briggs '25, and W. P. Dixon '25. Other men who should prove strong players on the squad and who have been practising at Longwood are L. H. Bondi '25, Parke Cummings '25, Carroll Harrington '24, Donald Stralem '24, and E. M. Upjohn '25. Of last year's Freshman squad W. T. Smith '26, number one man on the team, is the brightest prospect.

Round-Robin in Progress

At present a round-robin tournament is being held at the Longwood courts to determine what men will make the southern trip during the Spring recess. Three players out of the six to go have already been chosen. They are Captain Pfaffman, Briggs, and Ingraham. When the men return from the southern trip, which will end with a match with the Baltimore Country Club on April 19, a competition will be started among the members of the squad for places on the team to meet Columbia on May 3.

Particular stress will be placed this year on developing a good doubles combination, which will play together at all times. Pfaffman and Ingraham will undoubtedly be matched with each other, and should form one of the strongest combinations in collegiate circles. The prospects of winning the national intercollegiate doubles this year are the brightest since the title was taken three years ago.

1927 Starts Wednesday

Candidates for the Freshman tennis team will be called out Wednesday evening with a meeting in Smith Halls Common Room at 7 o'clock. Coach Cowles and Captain Pfaffmann will outline the work of the season. On the same day at 1.30 o'clock candidates for Freshman manager will meet under Harry Eldridge '24 at the H. A. A. The competition will last six weeks.