HOPKINSON PAINTER OF GIFT PORTRAIT OF ELIOT

MADE PORTRAITS OF WENDELL, PALMER, AND NORTON

The portrait of President Eliot presented to Harvard by students of all he departments of the University to commemorate his ninetieth birthday last week, is the work of Dr. Eliot's nephew, Mr. C. S. Hopkinson '91, of Cambridge, perhaps the best known living artist who is a graduate of Harvard.

Harvard now possesses four of Mr. Hopkinson's portraits in oil. In addition to the painting of President Eliot there is one of Professor George Herbert Palmer '64, now hanging in the living room of the Harvard Union, one of Professor Charles Eliot Norton '46 and one of Professor Barrett Wendell '77. These two are in the Faculty Room in University Hall where it is probable the Eliot painting will be placed.

Painted Envoys At Peace Conference

His paintings have been shown regularly at a great many exhibitions in the various cities of this country, and in 1915, Mr. Hopkinson won the Beck Gold Medal for a portrait at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts Exhibition. At the recent exhibition in Chicago another of his pictures had a conspicuous place. After the war, in 1919, Mr. Hopkinson was one of the American artists asked to go to Europe to paint the notables of the Peace Conference, where his three excellent portraits of the Serbian, Bulgarian, and Japanese Envoys were outstanding examples of his work.

Charles Hopkinson was born in Cambridge in 1869, a son of the well-known school teacher, John Hopkinson. In the autumn of 1891 he began his studies in the Art Students' League of New York, in 1893 he went to Paris, studying at the Academic Julian and later with Aman-Jean. He returned in 1896 to Boston, where he now has a studio.