1000 FRESHMEN WILL BE LIMIT IN FUTURE

All Composition Work Must be Strictly "Passable" Is Official Dictum--No Admission Conditions Hereafter

Limitation of the entering Freshman class to 1000 and elimination of the admission condition are the salient points in the series of innovations announced yesterday concerning admission to the Freshman Class of the College and the Engineering School. The changes are called attention to in a letter which is being sent to high and preparatory schools by Henry Pennypacker '88, chairman of the Committee on Admission.

Some of the important features include the continuation until further notice of the regulation permitting the his best seventh of a graduating class to be admitted without examination, and the refusal to admit a candidate whose native tongue is English unless his work in English composition is passable. On this subject the letter says:

"In order to meet this requirement, Board readers in English will be instructed to examine particularly the composition part of every book in English where the total grade is under sixty per cent, and to indicate whether the candidate may be regarded as doing passable work in English composition, even though he may not be credited with English as a whole. The subject may not be counted toward admission, of course, until the whole of English is passed with a grade of sixty per cent of higher."

The importance of the classics is given recognition in the ruling that a candidate offering both Greek and Latin will not be required to present a modern language for admission. This, however, will not free candidates from the present modern language requirements after they are admitted.

The letter also announces the fact that, after 1924, September examinations will not be accepted as preliminary examination for admission.