BEALS WILL CAPTAIN HOCKEY TEAM IN 1925

Veteran Array Will Answer Call Next Year--Forward Line Intact--Many Freshmen to Bolster Squad

Edward Mauran Beals Jr. '25 of Boston was yesterday elected captain of the University hockey team for the 1924-25 season. The election took place in Notman's studio, where the 14 men who played in the Yale games this year met for the team picture.

Beals prepared at St. Mark's, where he held the position of left center in the old style seven-man game. As a Freshman he was first-string center on the 1925 sextet, and last year won a regular berth on the University team at the same position. During the season just concluded he has alternated between center and right wing. In sporting circles he is commonly rated as one of the fastest skaters in college hockey at the present time.

The captain-elect will have a fine array of veterans with which to start off the 1925 season, as Crosby is the only player who has started the last few games who will not be available next year. Walker, who was beaten out by Austin for left wing honors toward the close of the season, Hill, a second string right wing, Gardner, and Graves are the only other players to graduate.

In addition to the large number of men with intercollegiate experience Captain Beals will have the support of several stars from the 1927 outfit, whose record furnishes a striking contrast to that of the University this year. Above all others Zarakov will do much to supply the dominating figure which has been missed since Owen's graduation. His presence, with Hamlen and Scott, should provide, the Crimson with two forward lines of almost equal calibre, as Austin, Hodder, and Beals would furnish the other combination. Chase and Hammond will be the logical defense men, while Coady, captain of the 1927 sextet, will make an able substitute.