POLO, NOW A MINOR SPORT, ATTRACTS 30 HORSEMEN

University Team Will Meet Yale in Semi-Finals of National Tournament on March 18 in New York

With the elevation of polo to the status of a minor sport, about 30 men have signified their desire to come out for this sport. In the majority of cases these men have never played polo before but are experienced riders. A beginners class in polo will be formed in the spring, to which all men in the University are eligible. Of the new men on the squad who are not taking military training, J. J. Mapes '25 in particular is showing up well.

Captain Clark at present is pointing his charges for the National Indoor Tournament in New York. Although the University horsemen drew a bye in the first round, they meet Yale in the semi-finals on March 18, the winner to play in the final on March 22. The only other scheduled engagement is the Outdoor Intercollegiates, to be played on Long Island May 7 to the 17. Last night the team played a practice game with the 101st Field Artillery in the Commonwealth Armory.

When the outdoor season begins, the team expects to practice three afternoon a week at the Dedham Country and Polo Club.

Captain Clark is desirous of arranging a game with Yale to be played on Soldiers Field on Commencement Day. He denies emphatically that polo is injurious to the turf, giving as instances the finest greens in the country where Army polo is played. He believes that a game on Soldiers Field would put the sport on the map, and incidentally be highly remunerative.