REPORTERS DELVE DEEP TO FIND RENDEZVOUS OF 2300

"PAPER BAG" THEORY FOR QUICK LUNCHES EXPLODED

Quick lunches and subterranean food shops were the center of activity yesterday for CRIMSON investigators in their efforts to discover where 2300 abstemious Harvard men eat.

This investigation follows the announcement, made in yesterday's CRIMSON, that, of the 5700 members of the University attending classes in Cambridge, only 4400 eat at regular college restaurants such as Memorial Hall, the Union, the Freshman dining halls or the various club dining rooms.

In accounting for the remaining 2300 men, various theories have been advanced. By some it was declared that a large proportion of the men eat their meals at the various public restaurants scattered around the Square. Others, claiming that the facilities at these establishments were altogether inadequate for so large a number, supported the time-honored theory that large numbers of students brought their meals with them in paper bags.

The statistics accumulated yesterday, however, establish beyond doubt the truth of the first theory. It was found that approximately 2175 students take their meals at privately operated restaurants, while no evidence could be found to prove that any college students had eaten his lunch from a paper bag for the past ten years.

Assistant Dean K. M. Murdock '16 was one of the first men consulted on this last point. In an article entitled "A Dean's-Rye View," published in the current issue of the Harvard Advocate. Mr. Murdock had intimated that a large percentage of the students in each class at Harvard came to college on the sub way, bringing their lunches with them in paper bags.

However, when confronted directly with the question. Dr. Murdock admitted that he had not witnessed such an event in recent years. He had based his statement, he said, on conditions during his own undergraduate years, when the floor of the parlor and library of the Union used to be littered with the wrappings in which students had brought their lunches with them to college.

InQuiries at the Union proved that this custom had been entirely unknown in recent years nor could traces of it be found elsewhere in the University.

In the figures of attendance at the restaurants on the Square, the Waldort and the newly established Splendid Restaurant led their competitors with a seminude total of over 1000.