"BIGGER AND BETTER"

More than one ministry in the "right little tight little island" of Great Britain has labored heroically with the problem of unemployment, has been cursed and vilified for laboring in vain, and has gone down under the insensate heel of the mob. Now it appears from dispatches, unless these be propaganda of the present ministry, that the fight has been against an irresistible force of nature. Too late to make redress the English public will discover that it has been unjust, that something which is almost impossible of remedy is the cause of unemployment--bigger and better health. Instead of the population starving off as it should, the statistical records show that the past year has been the healthiest in English history.

There seems scarcely a loop-hole out of the pitiful plight in which England finds herself. In the midst of such vigor Malthus offers no, remedy. There are possibilities in Swift's old cure for the starvation in Ireland. And yet it is only too probable that the English population would continue to recreate itself like the hydra-headed monster. To adopt the fatalistic attitude and let nature take its course would doubtless lead in a short time to such swarms that all Britain would be a vast human sardine-can. Yet there is a gleam of hope like the dawn on far off hills. Before quarters become too close for effective slaughter, let England enlist in life's campaign for "Bigger and Better Wars."