SHAW PICKS TWO AND A HALF 1927 CREWS

Rice, Bowles, Locke, Platt, Shurtleff, Gates, Wylde, and Olmstead Rowing on Red Crew

With the definite announcement of the names of those men who will be eligible for Freshman crew this year as a result of the April examinations, Coach Shaw has selected two eights and a four to remain in Cambridge during the spring vacation.

Several men who had been expected to row on the first two crews will be unavailable because of scholastic deficiency. This makes Coach Shaw's task an especially difficult one, because there has been an unusual dearth of material since the season began. There will be no further opportunity for these present ineligibles to be relieved of probation, and the present seating arrangements will last until Coach Shaw is absolutely certain they will not do.

Rice Still Strokes Reds

W. K. Rice retains the position at stroke on the Red crew which he has held during the last ten days. D. H. Bowles is rowing at number seven, replacing J. M. Gates, who is now at number three. W. P. Locke is at number six, and Geoffrey Platt continues in seat five, which he has held since the beginning of the year. S. N. Shurtleff is at number four and J. M. Gates at num- ber three. Cecil Wylde at number two replaces J. P. Hall who is now stroking the four-oared shell. J. B. Olmstead 2nd, retains his position at bow.

Many Changes In White Crew

In the White crew, numerous changes have also been necessitated through probation. Barrett Scudder, who stroked the Red crew for a considerable time, is now stroking the White crew. Clarence Whitman 2nd, showing considerable improvement during the past two weeks, has been promoted to seat seven in this crew. J. R. Harrison, one of the heaviest men on the squad, has also been promoted from the Blue crew to seat six. S. H. Hallowell, another heavy man, is at seat five, and J. H. Perkins 2nd retains his position at number four. H. C. Pierce 2nd, is at seat three, having been alternating with both the Red and White crews at this position all year. O. H. Pendar is at number two in place of F. M. Sedgewick.

The four oared shell is stroked by J. P. Hall, with Edwin Farnham, formerly bow on the Blue crew rowing at number three, Richardson White at seat two, and George Bancroft at bow.

Travis Inexperienced But Capable

H. O. Travis, although without previous experience before coming to Harvard, has proved himself the most capable of the Freshman coxswains, and is with the Red crew. The White crew has D. G. Sullivan for its coxswain, and the four, C. H. Ely.

H. R. Browning, who has been rowing regularly on the Red crew, is incapacitated at present with an infected leg. The only other member of the squad who is disabled is F. M. Sedgewick, who has the mumps.

During the vacation the crews will row twice daily, using the new Pocock shell for the first time next week. Coach Shaw announced last night that as the Red crew is exceptionally heavy, the men will have to show marked improvement during the next week, or they will be replaced by lighter men