EXTEND SYSTEM OF TUTORS TO LANGUAGE

Each Is to Have 75 Advisees--Is Last Division Demanding General Exams to. Adopt Tutorial System

At the beginning of the next college year, the Division of Modern Languages will institute a tutorial system, similar in many respects to the one now in use by the division of History, Government and Economics, but by no means concurring with it exactly.

Beleving that its problems are different that those of the other departments of the University, the Division of Modern Languages has decided to adopt a somewhat different method in their tutorial system, which will be applicable to their individual needs.

The main point of difference between the new tutorial system and the system now used in the division of History, Government and Economics, will be the occasional small group meetings with the tutor throughout the year, and individually as occasion demands.

Excluding Freshmen, there are 529 students concentrating in English, 187 in Romance Languages, and 29 in German, making a total of 745. For this large group of men, there will be but 12 tutors on full time, which is but half the number which is assigned to the division of History, Government and Economics.

Each Tutor To Have 75 Advisees

The Division has voted to adopt 75 as the number of students to be assigned to a tutor in full time, the title of the tutor being "Tutor in the Division of Modern Languages". The whole purpose of this is the encouragement and direction of reading with the view of mastery in the general field of literature in each individual department.

There will be one tutor in German, the equipment of three full time tutors in Romance Languages, and of eight full time tutors for English. Although there are more men concentrating in these subjects than any other courses in college, the equipment of tutors is smaller.

The oversight of concentration, distribution, and the choice of courses, will he committed as far as is practicable to the tutors. This will give the tutor a general jurisdiction over work related to his subject, and enable him to advise with the idea of meeting the individual needs.

This is the last of the group of courses requiring a general examination, to adopt the tutorial system. Beginning in 1911, this system gradually spread with increasing success through the departments of the Classics, Fine Arts, Philosophy, and the History and Literature. With its adoption by the Division of Modern Languages, the tutorial method will now be effective in all the departments except those of Mathematics and the Physical Sciences.