EDWIN F. GAY REJOINS HARVARD TEACHING STAFF

Editor of New York Evening Post and Former Dean of Business School to Become Professor of Economic History

Edwin Francis Gay, former Dean of the Business School, and a member of the Board of Overseers, will rejoin the University teaching staff in September as Professor of Economic History according to an announcement made last week. Among other notable appointments are those of Associate Professor R. H. Lord as Professor of History and Associate Professor Louis Allard as professor of French.

Dr. Gay has served the University ever since 1902 when he became an instructor in economics. When he resigned as head of the Business School in 1919 to become Editor of the New York Evening Post he continued this connection as a member of the Board of Overseers, Since no officer of instruction may serve as Overseer, Dr. Gay's resignation from the Board will take effect on Commencement Day, and the alumni will elect some one to complete the two years of his unfinished term.

Professor Allard, whose schooling in France was in Lille, Lyon, and Paris, taught at Beauvels at Laval, Canada, and came to Harvard as instructor of French in 1906. Professor Lord received his first Harvard degree in 1906, studying subsequently at Vienna, Berlin, and Moscow. In 1921 he received an honorary doctor's degree from the University of Lemberg in Poland. Since 1910 he has taught at the University. He served in 1918-19 with the American Commission to Negotiate Peace as expert on Polish affairs, and was American civilian representative on the First Interallied Commission to Poland.

Other Appointments Made

Clarence I. Lewis '06, formerly assistant professor, becomes associate professor of philosophy, an in the School of Public Health. Dr. Benjamin White becomes assistant professor of bacteriology and immunology and preventive medicine and hygiene. Kirtley F. Mather, who lectured here on geology last year is appointed associate professor of physiography. Warren M. Persons is reappointed professor of economics, and Stephen F. Hamblin is reappointed director of the Botanic Garden.

Professor Frank E. Farley, professor of English literature at Wesleyan University, has been appointed visiting lecturer in English for the second half of next year, and Aubrey A. Douglass is to be lecturer on secondary education in the Graduate School of Education.

The first tutors in the Department of Modern Languages, which will operate next year for the first time with the tutorial system, were announced as follows; Guillermo Rivera '09, assistant professor of Spanish, George B. Weston '97, assistant professor of romance languages, John J. Penny, instructor in French, Joseph N. Lincoln, instructor in French, and Asbury H. Herrick, instructor in German and in French.

In the Division of History, Government, and Economics, Philip P. Chase '00, John H. Williams, and Richard S. Meriam '14, have been reappointed as tutors.