FINAL MATCH PREVENTS CLEAN SWEEP IN TENNIS

SUCCESSFUL SEASON IN PROSPECT LINE-UP UNCERTAIN

Although the University tennis team was defeated 4 to 3 in their final match of the Southern trip by the powerful Baltimore Country Club organization, the Crimson was victorious by overwhelming scores in all of their other matches. The players enjoyed extraordinarily good weather every day but Friday, when the scheduled contest with the Dunbarton Club at Washington had to be cancelled because of rain.

Leaving Cambridge on Saturday, the University racquet wielders met the Agawam Hunt Club of Providence that afternoon in their first contest of the trip, and easily defeated them by the score of 6 to 2. Captain Pfaffmann was unable to finish his match with J. D. E. Jones Jr., after the latter player had won the first set 8-6.

Arriving in Richmond Sunday morning, the Harvard netmen were given the use of the courts on the Country Club of Virginia that afternoon, where they enjoyed some much needed practice. On Monday, the team representing the Country Club was defeated by the University by the score of 7 to 2.

Beat Norfolk Country Club

The following day Captain Pfaffmann and his teammates engaged the strong team from the Norfolk Country Club, and won 6 to 3. This match was the first real test for the team, since the Norfolk players had been playing all winter, and were capable of providing excellent opposition. That the Harvard team came through this contest with such excellent results augurs well for a successful season this year.

On Thursday afternoon, a team headed by Dwight Davis '00, the donor of the Davis Cup, representing the Chevy Chase Country Club of Washington was defeated by the University netmen by the score of 8 to 1. Captain K. S. Pfaffmann and W. W. Ingraham '25 lost the only match of the afternoon to D. W. Davis and J. B. Moore by the scores of 8-6, and 6-3.

One Match Cancelled

The match with the Dunbarton Club on Friday was cancelled because of inclement weather, and the following day the team journeyed to Baltimore, where they concluded their southern trip with a defeat at the hands of the Baltimore Country Club team, headed by John Howard, captain of the Princeton tennis team this year. W. W. Ingraham was unable to play in this match, and Captain Pfaffmann occupied the position of first singles. Opposing Howard, he was defeated 6-4, 6-2. In the doubles matches, Palmer Dixon and Alden Briggs defeated John Howard and T. L. Goldsborough in a long gruelling contest by the score of 6-4, 8-10, 6-4.

Captain Pfaffmann, Alden Briggs, and W. W. Ingraham alternated in each match at the first three singles positions, in an effort to discover the most effective combination. Each of these three men displayed an excellent brand of tennis. While it is a bit early to make predictions, there is an unmistakable attitude of optimism among the players that success will reward their efforts in their objective contests this year with Yale and Princeton. The line-up of the lower three players is strictly tentative, and strenuous practice this week will be in the nature of a test to locate the right combination.