THE OUTCASTS

Professor Sprague's objections to socialism as a subject for debate are an interesting illustration of the change in thought since the early nineteenth century. Even fifty years ago there was no doubt in the public mind as to the definition of a socialist--a revolutionist and a social renegade. At that time he was as easily recognized by his objections to the status quo as by his proposed methods of reaching Utopia. Now it is somewhat difficult to find even a "blood-sucking capitalist" to agree that all's right in the world. The socialist's ideal has expanded somewhat, it is true and for the original Fabians and Marxianists have sprung a varying breed, of social agitators, but doubtless the chief reason for the lack of a clear cut issue is the general acceptance of the belief that the present social structure can be vastly improved.

Obviously the easiest way to distinguish between reformers is by the methods they would use to achieve their ends; yet as Professor Sprague has implied this test is no longer valid. It is not impossible, however, to define a true issue between socialist and non-socialist. The one regards the present social organization as a false expression of human nature, the other regards it as a system which needs improvement but is essentially reflective of mankind. Each makes an assumption as to the nature of man.

A question of this kind can hardly be settled by debate, perhaps not even by scientific investigation. It is largely a matter of opinion. And since the Debating Union is designed to give the undergraduate an opportunity to express his beliefs rather than to arrive at conclusions it would seem that it makes a most suitable subject for discussion. Socialism is an interesting phase of the age old struggle between conservatism and liberalism. The conflict has never been settled, but the oftener the antagonists meet in the forum the clearer become the fundamental points of difference. The discussion of the Debating Union ought at least help the undergraduate to choose his side with intelligence.