VESTI LA GIUBBA!

Mayor Quinn, it seems, has been unfairly treated; he should not have been one of those included in the scathing reference made yesterday in connection with the cultured and sophisticated audiences for whom the production of "Sophie" was intended. So far from even glancing at the manuscript when the subject of a possible censorship of the "Makropoulos Secret" was delicately broached to him, the Mayor retreated behind his desk and announced firmly that no censorship of any kind whatever would be instituted within the walls of Cambridge unless specific complaint was received.

This news is a tremendous relief. It had been feared that the day was definitely past when the licentious burghers of Cambridge could revel in such daring and questionable exhibitions as "Le Tartuffe" and "The Life of Man"; it had even seemed possible that the wild seenes of orgy which had been planned in connection with the coming production of "Jalouse" might have to be postponed until the present demonstration of official prudishness subsided. Now, however, the threatened calamity has been averted. Whatever may be the state of City Hall opinion in the Hub of the Universe, this way-ward spoke will continue its mad career along the primrose path, if not with the open sanction, at least with the tacit consent of its own particular Cato. The tradition of culture and individuality established half a century ago by the Brattle Street illuminati has been saved certainly for the present and possibly even for future generations. Io Saturnalia!