CHINESE TENNIS CAPTAIN LIKES STIFF COMPETITION

WILL ALSO COMPETE AT OLYMPIC GAMES

"Our chances in the Davis Cup matches are very small," said Mr. W. Lock Wei of Shanghai, captain of China's first Davis Cup team, when interviewed by a CRIMSON reporter for a few moments at the Hotel Lenox in Boston. "We drew about the most difficult opponent we could in Austrialia.

"But", he continued in excellent English, "I am glad we are to play one of the best teams, for there is no practice as good as to play against a better player than yourself. We purposely challenged outside of our own zone. The neighboring teams are all very inferior and although we might advance further in the tournament by playing them we would lose the sport of playing men like the Australians."

In 1917 and 1918 Mr. Wei studied at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, taking some special courses at the Harvard Engineering School. He was captain of the Technology tennis team which beat Harvard at that time. In 1914 he became national champion in China. Although no title tourneys have been held since that year, he has won many doubles and singles championships at Shanghai, Peking, and other sport centers. Mr. Wei and his wife reached San Francisco only last week and came directly to Boston, where they will spend several weeks before sailing to Europe for the Olympic tennis competition.