LACROSSE REVIVAL IN PROGRESS AT NEW HAVEN

COLLINS AND COOK THE ONLY VETERANS TO GRADUATE

A squad of promising new candidates and several veterans of last year have been practicing daily for the Yale lacrosse team for the past six weeks, and despite the loss of two of last year's stars, the Blue's chances of turning out a stellar lacrosse outfit appear good. The team has a hard schedule to face and Coach Sheperd is planning to make the most of the recent increase in interest in this sport at Yale.

A squad of over 50-candidates for the Eli team with as many more for the Freshman squad have been learning the fundamentals of the game and already the result of last fall's practice is evident. For the last two weeks, daily scrimmage has been the program between two nearly equal teams, the "Blues" and the "Whites," and in these matches the men are getting experience that will stand them in good stead when the schedule begins. A training table was begun several weeks ago and everything possible is being done to insure the good condition of the players.

Graduation Leaves Two Gaps

W. T. Collins '23, last year's star goal and captain, with Stearns Cook '23 who performed brilliantly against Harvard, will leave gaps in the line-up difficult to fill. Candidates who have not played before and men from last year's Freshman team are being trained intensively to fill the places caused by graduation, and the wealth of good material on hand seems to promise a most successful intercollegiate season.

The defense looks, on the whole, better than the attack in spite of the loss of Collins. Captain J. L. Radell '24s, J. L. McKeon '25 and S. G. Barnet '24s are veterans who have proved their steadiness, while R. D. Rood '26 and M. H. Daniell '26s are making strong bids for the other positions.

At present, O. A. Anderson '26, of last year's Freshman team, seems to be the most promising candidate for the goal job, although several men who are playing the game, for the first time this spring, will give him plenty of competition.

The outer defense positions will be filled by experienced players. Clyde Jones '25, C. S. Walker '25 and F. L. Rossiter '25 have all played for Yale before and should lead the others in the struggle for these places.

Offensive Positions Weak

The offense will be by far the most difficult of Coach Shepherd's troubles this year. A. B. Chalmers '25 is an expert stick handler and an accurate shot and he seems sure to be this season's outstanding star. B. B. Gilman '25, G. E. Hearne '25, and E. B. Nelson '26, the last of whom was captain of last year's Freshman team are developing rapidly and should win places on the team. For all the positions, the large number of substitutes is going to prove of great value to Coach Shepherd both in trying to find the best possible combinations during the team's rigorous schedule.

The defeat of Harvard was almost the only bright spot in Yale's season last year but this spring a more successful outcome is predicated. Syracuse, Cornell and Princeton games lead up to the Harvard encounter in Boston on May 24 and the Yale team will do well to withstand the strain of such a succession of hard games.