DISPLAY FAMOUS GARRICK PORTRAITS IN WIDENER

Foster Playbill and an Invitation to Garrick's Funeral Are Included in Collection--135 Prints in All

Probably the most interesting collection of pictures to be placed on exhibition in Widener Library this year, is the group of Garrick portraits which will adorn the walls and cases of the Treasure Room during the next two weeks. The portrait collection is supplemented by several autographed letters, and numerous medals.

The Garrick exhibit is taken from one of the most complete collection of its kind in the world, and is shown under the auspices of the Theatre Collection of Widener Library. Although there is only space in the Treasure Room for the exhibition of about 135 prints, the Garrick collection numbers over 400.

Letter From Mrs. Abington

One of the autographed letters is from Mrs. Abington to David Garrick, requesting him to permit her to create the part of Roxalana, Garrick's reply is also shown. A poster playbill of Garrick's announcing his playing in "The Jealous Wife", is included in the exhibition."

Another interesting feature of the Garrick collection, is the ticket to Garrick's funeral. The wording of the invitation follows; "The Executors of David Garrick Esq. request the honor of your Company on Monday next, the 1st. of February, at 11 o'clock in the forenoon at his late House in the Adelphi to attend his Funeral to Westminister Abby."

In addition to the Garrick exhibition, a collection of autographed letters from Victorian authors and artists has been given to the Library by A. H. Parker '97, of Boston. The greater part of these letters were written to Frederic Locker Lampson, the poet and book collecter. The writers include Matthew Arnold, Eliot, Froude, Holmes, Lowell, Swinburne, Trollope, and about 35 others.

Notes by John Keats

A Facsimile of the Anatomical Notes, written out by John Keats when a student at Guy's Hospital, London, is also shown. It was presented by Sir William Hale White, Consulting Physician of Guys Hospital, through Dr. Harvey Cushing M. D. '95. The original was formerly owned by Sir Charles Dilke, and is now in the Dilke Collection of Keats Relics in the Hampstead Central Library.

An English Bible, given by Governor Dummer in 1742 to the Hollis Street Church, over which Mather Byles of the class 1755 had been installed as its first minister in 1733, was recently deposited in Widener Library by the South Congregational Church of Boston, and is now on exhibition in the Treasure Room.