CRIMSON FENCING HOPES CENTER ON ONE SURVIVOR

C. J. Shearn IL., Contesting Epee Final Today, Only Harvard Entrant Still in Running--Semi-Final Fatal to Boyce

Of the five members of the University who qualified for the national fencing tournament in New York, only two were able to make the trip and only one has fenced his way to the final round. C. J. Shearn 1L, will figure in the final bout for the epee championship this afternoon.

Burke Boyee '22, former University captain, who ranked third in the tournament last year, found himself yesterday in the semi-finals of the foils tourney with Nupez, national three-weapon champion last year, and Calanan, national epee champion of last year. Boyce lost by the closest of margins to Nunez, who with Peroy will contend for the title.

The University tournament will begin next Monday at Hemenway Gymnasium. There will be foils, duelling swords and epee divisions, and the tournament should prove more valuable than ever in sizing up the material for next year. In view of the fact that the entire University team will be lost by graduation, Coach Danguy will find it particularly difficult to build up a team. Since Captain E. H. Lane '24 and his brother, E. L. Lane '24, will not enter the foils, Captain R. A. Durham '23 and the substitutes of this year's squad will have a chance to show their ability.