PRICETON BOOKED TO WIN I.C.A.A.A.A.MEET

CARPENTER AND HARTRANFT OF STANFORD DISCUS STARS

Princeton, Yale, Pennsylvania, Harvard Stanford, and Galifornia is the way the college track and field enthusiasts are rating the teams for titular honors in the 48th annual I.C.A.A.A.A. championship meet at the Harvard Stadium, May 30 and 31. That judgement is based on known quantities and does not take into consideration the possibility that Cornell. Penn State or some other unheralded group will concentrate on a few events and jump into first place because the present favorites are cutting the group from beneath each other.

Princeton Twice Runner-up

Princeton has been runner-up to California for the past two years. By rolling up 29 points in the discus and javelin in the two years that those events have been on the program. Walter Christie's California Bears have romped away with two titles, although Justices, to the veteran Berkeley coach it should be added that his men have amassed 80points in the past two years and a total of 107 1-2 in the last three trips East. Christie knows Eastern weak spots and he aims for them.

Scattering of Points May Help Crimson

With Syracuse, Johns Hopkins, and Williams cutting into the points in the sprints, Penn State and Boston College are sure to make their presence felt in the middle distance runs, with Holy Cross furnishing a likely quarter-mile champion, and a wide, scattering of points in prospect in the distance runs. It again becomes apparent that the battle for the title should be fought out once more in the field, and it is the closeness of the fight that causes the Harvard followers to believe that Allen, Waters, Tibbetts, Hyatt, Fetcher, Eastman, and the redoubtable Carpenter, will annex just enough point to win the title.

On the other hand, Princeton now ranks as first choice with the world at large following their two-to-one win over the Crimson team in the Palmer Stadium last Saturday. Koene Fitzpatrick has one of the outstanding hurdlers of the year in Scatter good. It has a tested sprinter in McKim. It has a quarter miler of known ability in Croft; a 1923 point scorer in the half mile in conger. Miler Betts scored in the indoor intercollegiate and may pick up a point or two at the Harvard track the last two days in May. But the real Tiger strength lies in the field events.

Tigers Strong in Weight Events

Hills will wear the orange and black of Princeton as title-defender in the shot put. He will be backed up by Beattie and Gibson, and it may be recalled that Beattie was well up in this event at the indoor Intercollegiate. Hills was second and Captain Emery Fourth in the 1923 I.C.A.A.A.A. hammer throw. They are a little stronger, that last year and a have a sophomore team-mare in Gates, who may succeed Tootell of Bowdoin as champion. It is easily possible that the Tigers will capture ten or twelve points in the hammer, and that Emery and Gates in the discus and Gibson or Drews in the javelin will also break into the summary. Johnson in the pole vault, Dill in the broad Jump, and Really (If his form passes muster) in the high jump, complete the Princeton scoring possibilities, which surely cannot be matched for versatility in the East.