SOPHOMORE EIGHT TURNS CREW WORLD TOPSY-TURVY

General Mix-Up Follows Practice Race, in Which Two Shells Pass University and Leave Open Water Behind

The Sophomore A crew, scheduled to race the championship class crew of Yale at New Haven this Saturday, and Coach Brown's new third University crew both surpassed the first University crew over the mile and three-quarters distance in the Basin yesterday. Open water showed between the Sophomore boat and the boat stroked by Hamilton, while the third crew took second by nearly a length. Coach Brown's mixed crew came in a length behind the first University shell and the second crew trailed this crew by four lengths.

The race brought general depression among Coach Stevens's men. It is generally agreed by all men acquainted with the conditioning of the first two eights that both crews were in better condition a week before the races with Pennsylvania. The oarsmen were at a loss to account for their slump. The opinion was expressed at the Varsity Club's training table last night that this might be due to over-training, but no one seemed to doubt that Coach Stevens had the best eight oars in college.

The third University boat, which Coach Brown selected yesterday, has the following line-up: stroke, Brown; 7, Jamison; 6, Hoover; 5, Johnson; 4, Rober; 3, Theopold; 2. Curran; bow, Watts; cox., Carrillo.