Communications

Unwise Passiveness

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

If we, the strongest of nations, completely disarm, we may be overrun by other nations. But these other nations will realize that in these days of high division of labor our prosperity is essential to their prosperity. The passions of murder will not be let loose, and the invaders for their own well-being will recognize their dependence on our industrial prosperity.

If we do not disarm, other nations will not disarm either. They are arming in self-defence as we are. And another war will be inevitable, a war which will mean complete disaster.

Here are two choices; on the one hand we risk foreign domination, on the other we risk nothing--we are sure of disaster. Let us risk domination and use our wealth and influence to set up a centralized authority which will enforce peace.

Will this be sacrificing ideals and honor? Ideals are made for man and if an old-fashioned ideal threatens to destroy man, it is no longer an ideal. The ideal is the path which will bring the most good to mankind.

May I plead for a fair discussion of the war question? It is not fair to Mr. Cutter to brand the 30 who voted against participation in war is "mock martyrs"; such phrases are easy to invent and only confuse and issue. The subject is of such tremendous importance that we must keep it on the plane of clear thinking and honest sincerity. GARDINER LITTELL '24.