HUNTINGTON IN TENTH UPSETS SECONDS 6-5

BURNS SCORES WINNING TALLY AFTER MARRIS'S FIELD FLY

Huntington school sprang a surprise on the Harvard second nine yesterday afternoon, winning an exciting 10-inning battle by the score of 6 to 5. The schoolboys had a vastly improved line-up over that which lost overwhelmingly to the Freshman a month ago. Captain Lane, star wirier, was on the mound.

Stupid base running marred Harvard play. The Crimson had men on base almost every inning, but threw away many chances to score. Amsden led off the seventh with an apparent home run to the far corner of left field, but he failed to touch third and was called out. This break, as it churned out, lost the game.

A Pitcher's Battle

for seven innings the contest was a pitcher's battle between Lane and Nagh, with the latter having a shade the best of it. Harvard was a head 2 to 1 in the eighth, when Nash waited completely. Five hits and costly errors by Donaldaon and Maher gave Huntington four runs and a 5 to 2 lead.

Harvard come right back with two tallies in the last half of the inning. Rice dropped a high fly safely between the left fielder and the short stop for two bases. Keene was an easy out but Field came through with a single to center scoring Rice. Field took second on the throw home and third when the ball got by the catcher. He scored a moment later on a passed ball.

Buras Hits Triple

Pucker went in to pitch the ninth and held the visitors safe. With two out in the Crimson half Lane had a wild street, passing three men in suspension. Rice rolled a slow grounder down the third base line and but the throw to first, tying the score. Keene ended the inning by forcing Rice at accord.

Puffer having been received for a pinch hitter. Cotter pitched the tenth inning. Barns greeted him with a fiery triple down the right field four line. Harris Shied to Chase, and the speedy Burns scored after the catch. Cotter got the next two men, but the damage had been done.

The Crimson made a good bid to tie the score again in the last half. Field filed out to right and Maher field out to left, but Amsden doubled to right and took third while the fielder played tag with the ball. Chase, however, was called out on strikes. Harvard Seconds a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Rice 2b.  5  1  2  0  4  0 Keene s.s.  4  0  0  0  4  0 Field 1b.  5  1  2  15  0  1 Maher c.  5  1  1  10  3  2 Amaden c.f.  5  1  3  3  0  0 Chase l.f.  5  0  0  1  0  0 Denaldson r.f.  2  1  2  1  0  1 Mann 3b.  3  0  0  0  1  0 Gardner 3b.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Nash p.  2  0  0  0  2  0 Vocke  1  0  0  0  0  0 Puffer p.  0  0  0  0  1  0 Cotter p.  0  0  0  0  0  3 Total  37  5  10  30  15  4 Huntington a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Burns s.s.  5  2  2  2  1  0 Harris 1b.  4  1  1  12  1  1 Crotter c.f.  1  0  0  0  0  0 McGinley c.f.  4  0  0  3  1  1 Lane p.  5  1  2  0  2  0 Miller c.  3  0  0  6  1  0 Lathrop r.f.  4  0  0  3  0  1 Erickson 2b.  4  0  1  2  5  0 Wood l.f.  4  1  1  1  1  0 Radcliffe 3b.  4  1  2  1  2  0 Total  33  6  9  30  14  3 Innings  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Harvard 2ds  0  1  0  1  0  0  0  2  1  0--5 Huntington  0  1  0  0  0  0  4  0  0  1--6

Two-base hits. Amsden 3, Rice, Three-base hits, Lane, Burns, Sacrifice hit, Harris: Stolen bases, Amsden, Maher, Erickson, Wood, Struck, out, by Nash 9. by Puffer 2, by Lane 5, Bases on balls off Nash 1, of Lane 4, Hits off Nash 1 in "S" innings, off Puffer 1 in 1, off Cotter 1 in 1. Losing pitcher, Cotter, Hit by pitched ball, by Lane (Keene). Double play, McGinley to Miller. Passed ball, Miller. Time, 1h, 50m. Umpire Grimm.