TENNIS TEAM WALLOPS INELIGIBLE SQUAD

PFAFFMANN WEAKENS AND DROPS MATCH TO KUNKEL

In a practice match yesterday afternoon at the Divinity courts, which was played in preparation for the meeting with Yale next Saturday, the University tennis men gained a 6-3 verdict over a team composed of players ineligible for the regular matches.

In the first encounter of the afternoon, Ingraham had little difficulty in overcoming L. Coleman, 6-2, 6-1. The score, however, was misleading, for many of the games went to deuce, and there were several long rallies which Ingraham usually ended with a sharp volley to a corner of the court.

Pfaffmann Plays Weak Tennis

Chief interest centered around the match between Captain Pfaffmana and Kunkel. The latter, after dropping the first set, 6-2, staged a come-back, and ran the match out in the final sets, 6-4, 7-5. Captain Pfaffmann was not in best form, and he showed a fatal tendency to drive the ball out, and served doubles once on twice in the psychological turning points in the match.

Briggs and Dixon Drop Doubles

In the doubles, the University had little difficulty in taking the first two matches, but in the third, Briggs and Dixon succumbed to the superior teamwork of Wheeler and Whitbeck, the final score being 6-4, 6-3.

The showing of the University in this encounter augurs well for the last match of the season with Yale on Saturday. Ingraham's showing against Coleman made the prospects of a victory over Arnold Jones, Captain of the Yale team, seem much brighter.

The summary:

Singles--Ingraham (H) defeated. L.K. Coleman (G), 6-2, 6-1; Kunkel (G) defeated Captain Pfaffmann (H), 2-6, 6-4, 7-5, Wheeler (G) defeated Briggs (H), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4; Cummings (H) defeated Whit beck (G), 7-5, 6-2; Dixon (H) defeated Smith (G), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2; Harrington (H) defeated S. Coleman (G), 6-2, 7-5.

Doubles.--Ingraham and Captain Pfaffmann (H) defeated L. Coleman and Kunkel (G), 6-4, 6-3; Cummings and Harrington (H) defeated S. Coleman and Smith, (G), 6-3, 6-0; Wheeler and Whit beck (G) defeated Briggs and Dixon (H), 6-4, 6-3.