1927 TRACK SQUAD LACKS SECOND AND THIRD PLACE MEN

Crimson Is Strong in Shotput While Haggerty Should Win Mile

Harvard freshman track and field followers look to see the crimson make a good showing against Yale 1927 in the Stadium this afternoon in a meet which will begin in the Stadium with the field events at two o'clock, and continue at three o'clock with the track events which will be run off jointly with the events of the Harvard-Yale University meet. Yet it hardly seems possible to expect a victory for the Freshmen this year. Coach Farrell has accomplished much with the men available; but the visitors, even though they lost to Princeton, as did Harvard, are generally conceded to be the more consistent point scorers.

Excepting a few good men who are likely to win first places, the Freshmen are sully lacking in the strong second and third place scorers which are so essential for a winning team. The crimson team lost practically all its meets this season by wide margins, losing to Andover, 80 to 45; to Exeter, 76 1-3 to 49 1-2; Huntington School, 35 to 33; and, last week, to Princeton, 86 to 48. Early in the season, the crimson won a combined meet against Boston Latin and English High Schools, although no score was kept.

In the 100 and 220-yards dashes, the Crimson and the Yale Freshmen are fairly evenly matched. Were Secrist in top form the same might be said of the 440-yards event, but a recent leg injury left him with a slight limp. Haggerty looks like a winner in the half and mile events. The hurdles should go to Yale. The shotput is the strongest Crimson event, with Miller, Kilgour, and Lundell competing for the Freshmen.