A BUCOLIC PRINCE

At least one of the valuable arts learned in the late war, that of hiding military equipment under a pleasing mantle of twigs and greenery, seems not to have been forgotten. It may be only a coincidence that at the same time that the name of the fiery old Grand Admiral von Tirpitz is mentioned for chancellorship by the German Nationalist Party, news of a peculiarly pacific character is circulated on the doings of the erstwhile Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm, the figure-head of the Monarchists, who is said to have enrolled for a series of agricultural lectures at Breslau University.

A possible course of events which might indicate a connection between these two occurrences is not hard to visualize. The Nationalists, with that consummate lack of tact which has so far seemed characteristic of their operations, suggest the fate Admiral for a position for which, in addition to his known allegiance to the Hohenzollerns, he is probably unqualified by reason of his age and lack of political experience. Immediate hostility being expressed in foreign diplomatic circles, particularly by Mr. Edouard Herriot in Paris, the Nationalist leaders cast about for some means with which to quiet such unworthy suspicions. Alighting happily upon the already miserable Crown Prince, they suggest his temporary attendance at an agricultural course at Brealau, and remind him of the advantages which should result to his estate at Oala from a sincere, if transient interest therein.

Friedrich Wilhelm's sudden passion for the soil may of course be nothing but one of the whims which from time to time disturb the peace of mind of royalty. Yet from the fact that he has frequently found it necessary to motor as far as Berlin in order to have his teeth attended, although Brealau cannot be wholly barren of dentists, he may be suspected of cloaking the usual ambition of dispossessed princes beneath his present agricultural activities.

Not long ago news came out of Germany which told of some thousands of persons, who formerly possessed titles, banded together in an association to acquire experience in the domestic arts. This was humorously accepted at its face value; but when a similar story is started about the Crown Prince, who has been noted in the past for the agility with which he avoids anything even remotely connected with domestic art, a question as to his possible ulterior motives very naturally arises. But to cause a monarchist upheaval in Germany the Prince must gain the support of a vast majority of the people. With their confidence in royalty shaken by defeat in war it is hardly likely that they will flock to the standard of the double eagle, either deceived or flattered by the Crown Prince's sudden interest in the humble science of the ploughman.