CAMBRIDGE WILL DEBATE THE UNIVERSITY OCT. 23

"RECOGNITION OF SOVIET RUSSIA" IS PENDING SUBJECT

Cambridge and not Oxford will be the opponents of the University debaters in their third international debate on October 23 next fall. According to Philip Walker '25' president of the Debating Council, the arrangements are not final but he does not except any changes.

Of prime importance is the selection of a subject. In the past, the University speakers have been at a disadvantage with their older and more experienced English opponents, who have known their subject thoroughly weeks ahead and have been able to devote their attention to delivery. The Council has tentatively secured the subject of "Recognition of Soviet Russia", which although old involves an accurate knowledge of international law and which has not been settled by this country. If a more timely question arises, it may be used.

Men Should Study Question

All men who expect to compete for this debate are urged to study the subject of international recognition in general and Russian recognition in particular, during the summer. At a recent meeting of the Council one of the graduates who may coach this team emphasized the need of knowing the subject thoroughly long before the debate in order that the men can talk fluently and correctly on the subject.

The Cambridge team, representing the Cambridge Debating Union, crosses the Atlantic before college opens this fall, going first to Canada, where it will tour and debate for two weeks. Entering the United States about October 15, the Englishmen will go as far south as New York City and then turn back north into New England. Harvard or Bates will be the last debate on the cambridge schedule. The Englishmen return to England on October 25.

The Oxford Debating Union is also sending a team to this country this year. Since the Oxford men have twice met the eastern American colleges in debate, they will tour the middle west next fall.