COLUMBIA NET MEN EARN 5-4 VERDICT

Bests Columbia First Year Squad by 8-1 Count--Loses Once in Singles--Gordon Elected 1927 Captain

In a vory close contest Saturday at the Divinity Courts the University tennis team lost to Columbia 5 to 4 The loss of the first three matches in the singles to the visitors ranking players was not unexpected because of the strength of Captain Anderson, Lang, and Marshall.

The results of the singles matches gave the New Yorkers a 4-2 lead, still leaving the possibility of a Harvard victory by winning the three doubles matches. Again, however, the strength too much for the leader of the University team.

Freshmen Gain 8 to 1 verdict

Harvard tennis enthusiasts, however, tound some consolation in the fact that the Columbia Freshmen were able to win but one of their five singles, and none of their doubles matches from the 1927 team. Following this Freshman victory Lewis Henderson Gordon of Flushing, Long Island, New York was unanimously elected captain. Gordon is a graduate of Andover, where for three years he played on the tennis team. As number one man against Worcester, and as second man in yesterday's match, he has shown himself, according to Coach Cowles, to be a payer of promise.

In the first match of the University game Captain Frank Anderson, former senior indoor champion and number three in the Metropolitan ranking had fairly smooth going in defeating Ingraham. Pfaffmann and Briggs met a similar fate at the hands of Lang, New York state intercollegiate holder, and Marshall. The fourth and fifth Harvard players, Cummings and Harrington, were able to make quick work of their opponents. In his match Dixon started, out with a 6-1 victory, but lost the second set. For a few games in the third it looked as if he might even the score, but a smashing comeback by Kong robbed him of his victory.

First Doubles Match Is Feature

The doubles match, in which Ingraham and Pfaffmann met Anderson and Lang, was the feature match of the afternoon. Although the first set went to the visitors with slight opposition, the second was hotly contested for 18 games, before Columbia was able to win two in succession.

Lenhart, as number one, was the only Harvard Freshman to lose his match, all the others winning in straight sets. For the first time this season the doubles combinations worked well.

The matches played yesterday resulted as follows:

University Singles.--F. C. Anderson (C) defeated W. W. Ingraham '25, 6-3, 6-4; J. Lang (C) defeated K. S. Pfaffmann '24, 9-7, 6-4; R. Marshall (C) de Alden Briggs '25, 6-4, 6-3; Parke Cummings '25 defeated L. Weisberger (C) 6-1, 6-2; Carroll Harrington '24 defeated G. Case (C) 6-1, 6-4; P. Kong (C) defeated W. P. Dixon '25 3-6, 6-1, 6-4.

University Doubles.--Anderson and Lang (C) defeated Ingraham and Pfaffmann (H) 6-2, 11-9; Briggs and Dixon (H) defeated Marshall and Case (C) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4; Harrington and Cummings (H) defeated Weisberger and Kong (C) 6-3, 9-7.

Score, Columbia 5. Harvard 4.

Freshman Singles. L. Watson (C) defeated P. M. Lenhart (H) 6-4, 6-2; L. H. Gordon (H) defeated F. Gale (C) 6-2, 6-1; Stephen Thomson (H) defeated P. Richards (C) 6-0, 6-0; H. B. Jackson (H) defeated M. Maclay (C) 6-1, 6-3; J. O. Parker (H) defeated D. Maclay (C) 6-2, 6-3; E. D. Pratt (H) defeated J. Barnet (C) 6-1, 6-2.

Freshman Doubles. L. H. Gordon and T. L. Kingsbury (H) defeated L. Watson and F. Gale (C) 6-1, 6-4; P. M. Lenhart and E. D. Pratt (H) defeated P. Richards and J. Barnet (C) 6-2, 6-4; Stephen Thomson and J. O. Parker (H) defeated M. Maclay and D. Maclay (C) 7-5, 8-6