Seniors Prove Ineffective Beggars as 1927 Contributes $159.13--Lamont Plans Strong Box for Two Million Marks

Before the derisive shouts of members of the Freshman class, assembled on the stops of Widener Library to have their pictures taken yesterday afternoon, the Seniors discarded their traditional dignity, and in their newly donned cape and gowns, knelt in supplication before the first year men.

An avalanche of gifts showered upon waiting Seniors at the conclusion of C. J. Hubbard's appeal, money to the extent of $159.13 being realiged. Probably the most unusual of the presentations were numerous rolls of tissue paper, which were indignantly returned by the upper-classmen. Cheers were given for the more philanthropic members of the Freshman Class after they had contributed dollar bills, and according to an announcement by Corliss Lamont, the class treasurer, a special meeting of the Class Committee will be held today to consider making two unusually generous Freshmen who each gave five dollars, honorary members of the class of 1924.

Lamont was particularly caustic in commenting on what he considered the poor showing of the class of 1927, since $100 more was realized by last year's Senior class, but he believes that the class of 1924 will be greatly enriched as a result of the donation of 1,910,000 German marks. According to the 1924 financial statistician, there is an excellent chance of the mark "coming back" before the Twenty-fifth Anniversary, and the marks will be put in a strong box until that time.

Over 4000 pennies were contributed by the Freshmen, other gifts including Canadian and Italian coins, blank checks, cough drops, cigarettes, a pair of dice, an empty cartridge, and one peppermint Life-Saver.