STEVENS EXPECTS NO FIRST CREW CHANGES

Farnham Having Difficulty With Boils Is Temporarily Out of Freshman Eight--Gates Now in Seat Two

New London, Conn., June 9.--The permanency of the present rowing order of the first University crew is practically assured, Coach Stevens believes. The workouts of the last few days, including time trials over the four-mile distance and practise starts, have been very encouraging.

The power of the present crew is of course unknown, but it is a far different combination in power and composition from that which faced Pennsylvania and in the promotion of Jameson and Johnson last week, there are two differences from the eight that rowed Cornell. The morning work-out today was devoted to practising the racing start, while a race over the two-mile course between the first and second crews in which the former won by a close margin featured the afternoon workout.

Coach Stevens has been giving, strenuous tubbing practice to each of the oarsmen. In addition to showing each man the fine points of the stroke while the two, oarsman and coach, are in the double shell, motion pictures have been taken and the man has seen his errors on the screen in the evening.

Coach Shaw is having difficulty with his Freshman eight because of Farnham's having boils. J. M. Gates is now at two and Shurtleff at four, pending Farnham's return to the boat.