Dawes Nominated While Delegates Roar Approval

But Ex-Governor of Illinois Declines Nomination and Vote Swings to Dawes

Cleveland, O., June 12.--Amid a bedlam of shouting and noise that rivaled that of previous years, for the first time since the convention started, General Charles Gates Dawes of Illinois, was nominated tonight as the Republican candidate for vice-president. The third ballot saw a landslide of votes to the financier's faction after Governor Frank Orren Lowden of Illinois had refused the nomination that was tendered to him on the second ballot.

The evening's session began with Public Hall jammed to capacity. Wild applause and cheering greeted every speaker and the roll, call of states, on the last ballot especially, was accomplished only with difficulty. Judge William S. Kenyon of Iowa, reputed this afternoon to have the backing of President Coolidge, was well supported on the first ballot, which was divided between a great number of candidates.

The next ballot, however, saw Governor Lowden coming to the fore. Despite, his repeated assurances that he was not a candidate, the delegates flocked to his banner, and amid riotous applause, his nomination was announced. Uncertainty as to his acceptance was still so strong, however, that a recess was declared during which Chairman F. W. Mondell of Wyoming, communicated with the ex-governor of Illinois.

When the convention reassembled, Chairman Mondell read a telegram from Governor Lowden, announcing the latter's profound appreciation of the honor, but reiterating his former statements as to his candidature.

When the California delegation in the next roll call, swung a majority of its votes to Hoover, confidence was felt among his supporters that he would secure the nomination. Watson, Kenyon, and DuPont figured in the balloting at first, but the issue soon narrowed down to Hoover and Dawes. Kansas gave '28 votes to the latter, Maine 16, Maryland 17, Minnesota 25, and so it went until pandemonium reigned in the ranks of the "hero of the reparations situation," and the landslide bewan. State after state declared for Dawes, the climax coming when New York and Pennsylvania gave him 60 and 78 votes respectively.

Without an official count of the figures, Governor Cox of Massachusetts made and Senator Watson from Indiana seconded the motion that General Dawes be nominated by acclamation. The motion was finally carried in a burst of wild cheering and shouting.

It is generally believed by party leaders that the nomination would be acceptable to President Coolidge, who was nominated this afternoon. The nomination of the budget expert is expected to hormone completely with the attitude of the party as it has been expressed here this week.

Senator Watson summed up the sentiment of the convention in his seconding speech. "With Coolidge, Dawes, and the sound Republican principles of a thoroughly to a victory, as deserved as always by the Grand Old Republican Party."