HARVARD ACTING STARS PLAN TO GO ON THE ROAD

WILL PLAY ONE NIGHT STANDS WITH "JITNEY PLAYERS"

The Harvard Dramatic Club will drop back four centuries this summer when five of its members join a company of travelling players which is to tour through Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine presenting its repertoire of short plays in one nights stands at rural communities all along the line after the manner of the strolling players of the sixteenth century.

To Ride in Ford Truck

But instead of strolling, the company will travel by means of a Ford truck, which each night will be converted into the stage on which the actors perform before their village audiences. By day the truck appears like any other truck upon the road. At night, its, sides are folded out and supported on hinged legs, giving a stage some 15 feet square. An upper stage is placed over the driver's seat. Then a canvas roof and background is raised over the platform, tents are raised to right and left for dressing rooms, and a curtain stretched between.

Among the plays which have been prepared for presentation by the company this summer are "Creatures of Impulse" by W. S. Gilbert; "The Countess Cathleen", by W. B. Yeats; "Skeletons", by Miss Constance Wilcox; and "Gammer Gurton's Needle",--one of the first plays presented by the strolling players in the days of Queen Elizabeth.

Company Organized Last Summer.

The company, known as the "Jitney Players", was organized last summer by Mr. Bushnell Cheney, who graduated from Yale in 1921, and completed a most successful tour-throughout New England. This year the company will repeat its trip under his direction. The cast, consisting almost entirely of professional actors and actresses, will be coached by Mr. Samuel Merwin, the celebrated play-wright. Among the Dramatic Club members who will join the company are R. C. Burrell '24, former president of the Club, who is to be the stage manager, and D. W. Hallett '24, who will act as his assistant. R. S. Aldrich '25, now, president of the Dramatic Club, will direct the trip as business manager; J. J. Collier '24 is to join the ranks of the actors; and Ross Wilkins '26, will be in charge of the lighting.