The Scout Club Explained

Communications

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

I was interested to read Mr. Chipman's letter on the subject of a Harvard Scout Club in this morning's CRIMSON, which I can only suppose was meant to be funny. It may possibly interest him and others to learn that there are flourishing Scout Clubs in Oxford, Cambridge, London, Dublin, Glascow, Manchester, Leeds, and Durham Universities on making inquiry I find that there are similar clubs in Yale and other Universities in this country.

The purpose of these Clubs is not, as Mr. Chipman would appear to think, to induce men to parade about the country arrayed in Scout Uniform, but to train any interested to become Scoutmasters. At this time College men are urgently needed for this work, which whatever Mr. Chipman may think, President Roosevelt and President Emeritus Eliot among others clearly recognised to be of national, if not international importance.

Finally I think it is a pity that Mr. Chipman should disparage a scheme, about which he knows nothing, to promote an organization about which he appears to know less, before it has had any sort of trial here, while similar schemes have had valuable results elsewhere. DAVID P. KENNEDY, Sp. L.