ELIS AND TIGERS OPEN GRIDIRON CAMPAIGNING

EARLY WORK IS RUDIMENTARY DRILL AND CONDITIONING

New Haven, Conn., September 18.--The usual calisthenics and training during the first four days of practice have given little basis for prophecy about the Yale football team. With the return of a large number of veterans from last year's championship eleven, Head Coach T. A. D. Jones has considerable experienced material with which to work. Bendram, Luman, Butterworth, Eckart, Captain Lovejoy, Pond, Cottle, and Bench, all of whom figured in the Harvard game last fall, have been working out regularly. Hickok, Bunnell, and Wolfe are among those of last year's Freshman team who have reported. The aggregate includes many players from the 1923 second squad.

Perhaps a memory of the pond in the Stadium last fall, inspired the Blue coaches to hold a long practice on Wednesday, when the field was drenched by rain. Conditioning, signal drill, and fundamentals have been stressed so far. Dummy tackling, kicking, and a little practice in breaking through have completed the program. Regular scrimmage between tentative first and second teams is to begin next week.

Princeton, N. J., Sept. 18.--Coach William Roper began his last year as mentor of the Princeton football squad on Monday, with five stars from last year's team and five more from the Freshman team, on the field for practice. These men are the nucleus of the sixty-odd candidates, and with later arrivals, are the material with which Coach Roper will make his last attempt for Tiger glory.

Captain Stout, of football and hockey fame, Hills, recent Olympic track star, Gibson, Howard, and Beattle are letter men. Baldwin, Slagle, Rosengarten, England, and Ewing, last year's Freshmen, help to fill the line positions and leave Coach Roper with the backfield as his greatest problem.

The loss of Van Genbig leaves the Orange and Black with no booter to fill his place. Gibson, Slagle, Weeks, Williams, and Legendre have been coached steadily during the week in punting and drop-kicking and Hills, Gates, and Caldwell, the star twirler on the nine, have been practicing the new type of kick-off, caused by the change in the rules which forbids toes.