EXTENSION COMMISSION PLANS THIRTY COURSES

LOWELL INSTITUTE ENDOWMENT SUPPORTS WORK

The Commission on Extension Courses, of which Professor Arthur F. Whittem '02 is the new chairman, announced yesterday a program of thirty courses, of college grade to be given for the benefit of Boston men and women in the late afternoons and evenings of this year.

The roll of the teaching staff contains several new names and one which has been absent for two years, that of Associate Professor C. T. Copeland '82, who will again give his lectures, readings and conferences on the "Lives, Characters, and Times of Men of Letters, English and American." The course begins on October 6, and Professor Copeland will be assisted by Dr. T. L. Hood '08 of the University.

Dr. Charles H, McIlwain, professor of History and Government at the University, will give a course in the history of England and the British Empire to 1776. Other new lecturers from the University will be Dr. Lewis R. Miller, instructor in History, who gives a course on the history of Europe from 1870 to 1914, and Assistant Professor John H. Williams, of the Economics Department, whose course aims to give a general view of economics.

Most of the courses are supported from the endowment of the Lowell Institute, and for those running the entire year the fee is five dollars, and for those lasting half a year, two dollars and a half.