MAHAN WILL BE NEW BASEBALL DIRECTOR

Mitchell Reappointed Battery Coach--Will Have Charge of Fall Practice--Davidson Stays With Freshmen

E. W. Mahan '16 has been engaged to coach the University baseball team next season, it was announced in midsummer at the H. A. A, and yesterday afternoon it became known that Claude Davidson will direct the Freshman nine for the third successive year and that Fred J. Lake, former major-league player and manager, will succeed William J. Stewart as second team mentor.

The engagement of Mahan to succeed Coach John Slattery marks the inauguration of a graduate coaching policy in baseball. The new director has had no professional coaching experience, but he was a pitcher of the first rank in his undergraduate days and has since played considerably in amateur and semi-professional circles. He brings to his new task a deep practical knowledge of baseball and a rare ability in handling men.

Once Shut Out World's Champions

Mahan's baseball record in the University was overshadowed by his meteoric gridiron career, but still he ranks as one of the greatest Crimson boxmen. He was the pitching mainstay of the 1914, 1915, and 1916 teams and also one of the leading batters. His greatest feat was a 1 to 0 shutout of the Boston Red Sox in an exhibition game in the spring of 1916 when the Red Sox were World's Champions.

Mitchell Will Direct Fall Practice

Mahan is continuing his duties on the football coaching staff, so he will be unable to direct fall baseball practice. Fred F. Mitchell, battery coach last year, who has been re-engaged in the same capacity for the coming season, will be in entire charge this fall. Mahan will give a small portion of his time, however, to a general oversight of the squad.

Fred J. Lake has had considerably more experience than any former second team coach. He was a major league catcher for several years and was once manager of the Boston Nationals. He is regarded as a most valuable acquisition to the Crimson staff.

Davidson Has Been Successful

Davidson's return is not the source of much surprise, as he made an enviable record with last year's Freshman team, which defeated both Princeton and Yale. He also developed several players who should strengthen this year's University squad.

Coach Slattery leaves the University after five consecutive years of service. His first two teams defeated Yale, but, handicapped by inferior material, he has coached losing teams for the past three seasons. He is to direct the Boston College nine next season.