MUST EQUIP 1924 TEAM WITH NEW SHOULDER PADS

HOLD ANNUAL INTERPRETATION MEETING IN NEW YORK

New York, September 20--Football shoulder guards of a type which no known equipment company manufactures and with which no college squad is now supplied must be worn by 1924 teams. This was decided at the annual interpretation meeting of the central board of football officials with the football rules committee tonight.

The meeting came to an almost unanimous decision to enforce strictly the new rule requiring that "shoulder guards must be thoroughly padded on the outside as well as on the interside." The alternative to wearing such guards will be wearing none at all, so that bones may be broken all over the country this season in an effort to comply with the new rule.

The familiar leather surfaced guard with which most teams have already been equipped at very considerable expense must be discarded or else covered with a top layer of one inch felt to save whole squads from suffering the prescribed penalty of disqualification.

The meeting also discussed in detail the new rule barring all tees, voting that another player could hold the ball, or it could be placed in a depression in the ground. It was ruled, however, that no french could be dug behind the ball, since that would have the effect of placing it on a tee.